Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sugar Cookies

We have really been getting into the spirit of summer lately. Last weekend we had a bbq at the pool with our neighbors and Joe's co-workers and we just booked a hotel in Jacksonville for the 4th of July! And finally... yesterday I decided to do something that I have wanted to do for a looooooong time. I have always wanted to try making sugar cookies.... the fancy kind..... with piping..... and glaze. After watching and reading several tips and tutorials online, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby (and to my surprise I didn't need to use my GPS). Since Joe and I are on the "eat healthy" bandwagon, I knew these cookies wouldn't stick around our apartment, so I made very festive 4th of July cookies for him to take to work! Here's how they turned out....


 Meringue Powder Buttercream (I couldn't help but look disgusted as I scooped up 1/2 of a cup of shortening!)


 Sugar Cookie Dough.... and it tasted just as good raw as it did baked.... maybe better ;)


This part seemed to take the longest because I was so ready to roll them out!


 My first try at rolling out the dough was... unsuccessful. Joe has learned that when something goes wrong with me and the kitchen, my first instinct is to say "I can't handle this" and just throw it away. I had to take a deep breath and say "Jessica, keep your cool... Joe is not here to guide you through your meltdown." I scraped the dough off the counter and put it in the freezer. 2nd time was definitely the charm and no meltdowns were had!


Looking pretty good!


 FINALLY! The fun part!!! This is what I had been waiting all day for.


 The next thing I knew, Joe had gotten into the cookie decorating spirit too. Some of his "patriotic" cookies included Darth Vader and an alien.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
And when all was said and done (and after one SORE hand)...
.
.
.
.
.
.



This was the result! Successful first try at sugar cookies! (They were delicious too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment