Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gluten Free Pumpkin Waffles

Ok.. ok.. OK! So I know I said this blog would contain healthy food too. I figured these gluten free pumpkin waffles would be the best way to start! I eat these waffles at least 3 days out of the week. They are a little labor intensive to make for just myself, but oh, are they worth it! 

On my new health plan, I eat hardly any carbs most days. Breakfast is the best meal of the day to me because I get to change it up with my oatmeal. These waffles can also be made as pancakes, I just prefer sticking the batter in a waffle iron so I don't have to go through the wait before eating them.



 Ingredients

 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
pinch of baking soda
pinch of baking powder
1 packet Stevia in the Raw
2 egg whites
1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
cinnamon to taste


Directions

In a food processor or blender, grind oats until they are very fine.



 Pour into bowl and add baking soda, baking powder, Stevia and cinnamon.

Set aside in a separate bowl. In mixer add egg whites, cottage cheese and pumpkin.

 Blend until smooth and chunks are gone.

Add the wet mixer ingredients to the dry mixer and stir by hand.


If cooking in waffle iron lightly grease and cook for about 3 minutes (until outside of waffle is golden brown.) The batter is very thick so you will need to spread it out into the waffle iron or skillet with your spatula.



If cooking as pancakes place about 1/2 the batter on a grease pan set on medium heat.


Now pour the good stuff on. Don't worry!!! This won't ruin your healthy breakfast. Use Walden Farms Maple Syrup, 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 sugar... and for what it is, doesn't taste too shabby! I also sprayed the crap out of my waffle with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. When I told Joe's brother about this his response was "You go to all that work to make that healthy waffle and then you put THAT plastic all over it?!" My response? "I like it, and I have to give and take a little. It's not the MOST nutritious, but there could be worse!" He nodded his head in approval. Even if he hadn't... I'd still be taking off the sprayer and just drizzling that plastic butter all over my pumpkin waffle. But definitely give the Walden Farms Maple Syrup a try! I've seen it in blueberry flavor but have yet to try it.... get the ranch too.. and the chipotle ranch.... and the honey mustard... oh heck, try them all!


No comments:

Post a Comment