Friday, July 27, 2012

Andes Mint Cake Balls

I do realize that I post a lot of my baking goods on here... maybe this is a sign that I need to be one of those bloggers that puts countless recipes for pinterest(ers) to find! Well I said this blog was going to be about Joe and I and what we are up to... and I'm sure no one wants to see pictures of Lego Harry Potter (which I have been playing an excessive amount of on my wii) but what I have really been up to is cooking and baking! I have made it my quest to find healthy or healthier versions of yummy recipes for us to eat and so far... I've been pretty successful. However, if you know me... you know I have a GIGANTIC sweet tooth. Saturdays are saved for days where Joe and I go out and get some type of food we are craving whether it be Mexican, BBQ, or this weekend we are having Chinese! I also reserve Saturdays for days where I bake whatever it is I want and I try not to let myself be bothered with making it any healthier. Joe's co-workers get to benefit from this as well because they get the leftovers! Honestly... I wish there were more recipes and ingredient sizes out there where you could make a tiny cake, or only 1/2 a dozen cookies.

Anywho... here is my latest concoction (first graders.... did you find the vocabulary word in that sentence?!)

I have had a hankering for cake balls but I wanted to spice it up a bit... so I made Andes mint cake balls!

 If you have questions on the process of actually making cake balls feel free to ask... but for this post I'll just add the recipe I used at the end!



 In an attempt to make these cake balls SLIGHTLY healthier, I actually baked my cake by substituting the oil and eggs with a cup of Oikos Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt and a cup of water. The cake turned out very moist!


And now for your adventurous ones out there who love chocolate as much as I do... here is the recipe I used. I'm sure there are several variations out there to make them better, I just came up with this last minute.
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Extra Moist Milk Chocolate)
  • 1 jar chocolate frosting
  • 1 package Frosting Creations Chocolate Mint
  • 1 package chocolate flavored almond bark
  • 1 package Andes Mints (cut into small squares)
    • save about 10 mints and finely chop to garnish the tops of the cake balls while chocolate coating is drying.

Bake cake according to directions on box and let cool. After cake is room temperature crumble it up into small pieces and stir in can of frosting with Frosting Creations Chocolate Mint flavor pouch. Stir in cut up Andes mint pieces and roll dough into small balls. (makes about 40) Place cake balls into freezer for 15-20 minutes before rolling in melted chocolate coating. When coating is drying sprinkle with Andes mint garnish!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment