Sunday, September 16, 2012

Picante, Caliente, Fuego....

It's been interesting around here with the new addition to our "family". Harrison has been great with a few exceptions... he does NOT like to be left alone and he also does NOT like his kennel. Something we're working on. But other than that... he listens, he knows the rules and for the most part follows them, and he continues to leave the cat alone! Dierks gets plenty of hisses out throughout the day... but each day there are fewer. I see that as a good sign.


Yesterday we ventured out to "Old Town" again to go to the annual Albuquerque Salsa Fiesta, $5 gets you free samples and voting rights to decide which salsa was the best. Now.. here is where things got a little confusing. There were three large tents set up named "picante", "caliente", and "fuego". I put my high school Spanish and reasoning to good use and figured that "fuego" (meaning fire) must have been the salsas that were the most spicy, "caliente" (meaning hot) must have been the mildly hot, and that left "picante" which MUST have been the mild. So we started with the picante tent. I do not tolerate spice in any form or fashion. The second I feel a burning or even TINGLING sensation in my mouth, I'm done. The salsas in the picante tent were H-O-T. My mouth was burning but I refused to give up. I thought to myself "if I can't even get through the mild salsas then I must really be a wimp!"

Joe and his friend, Jett, dared to go into the "fuego" and "caliente" tents and I followed with Harrison in tow, hoping that I would get some amusement out of them setting their mouths on fire. HOWEVER, as we went through the tents and they sampled salsa after salsa... we discovered that the titles of the tents were not indicative of the spice level of the salsas. Caliente was.. kind of hot and most of the salsas in the fuego tent weren't spicy at all! Which means... I SAMPLED ALL OF THE HOTTEST SALSAS! I was so proud of myself after finding that out. Go me, maybe next time I'll try the spicy ones on purpose..... probably not though.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment